Saturday, December 8, 2012

South Pole

I made it!
As I write this, I am about 400m away from the geographical South Pole, 90 degrees South.

The trip to Antarctica was probably one of the hardest flights I have ever done. From Christchurch to McMurdo 8 hours on a noisy military plane, then about 6 hours of stop-over in McMurdo, just enough to get a couple of hours of sleep in, and then another 3 hours on a military plane to go to the South Pole.

After arriving I was just glad that the plane travel would be over for a while, but then the altitude sickness started and yesterday afternoon I would have been happy to be on a flight back to sea level. I'm better today, not 100% good, but at least I can be upright without feeling the urge to vomit.

Still have no real Internet connection, since my laptop is still not cleared to enter the network. So this is just a quick update to let you know I made it, and that I try to post more during the next days. After all, I got some incredible pictures of the Transantarctic Mountains!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment