Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Almost on the way back

Well, I just dropped off my bags at the bag drag station here at the Pole. I am scheduled to fly out tomorrow (to McMurdo, and then the day after to Christchurch). It is kind of sad to think that I will have to leave the Pole so soon already. Now, that I am finally adjusted to the altitude, and that I find my way around the station.

Work went well. We compared the two Dobsons and the data looks good. Unfortunately that means that there is no scientific reason for me to stay longer. And personal reasons do not really count here. I asked how big my chances are that I will actually make it off the continent before Christmas (because IF I will get stuck here in Antarctica, I would prefer to be stuck at the Pole, where I know people now, rather than McMurdo), and they told me that this time of the year the weather is normally stable enough that the planes can fly, and if there are no mechanical problems. So when I asked if it would be possible to stay at the Pole for Christmas, they told me that this would not be an option, unfortunately, since the station will be completely occupied. Unless, of course, I am stuck here because the planes can't fly...

So, most likely my time here in Antarctica will be over shortly. I really, really liked it here. Antarctica is a very special place and I am just very happy that I was allowed to come here. If everything works as planned, I will be in NZ shortly before Christmas, and will stay there for some vacation, summer feeling and long showers, until the mid of January.

No comments:

Post a Comment