Wednesday, November 28, 2012

How do you pay for things at the South Pole?

In case you wondered how you would pay for things at the South Pole, I can help you out now.  :)

I just recently learned that it is NOT possible anymore to pay at the South Pole with personal checks, and they also do not take credit cards or debit cards. That leaves only cash. And with cash I mean US dollars. South Pole is an US American station after all, so the currency there is US dollars.

I won't need cash to pay for accommodation, or for my meals. That is all included in my deployment deal. I will need cash for fun stuff. Like things from the souvenir shop (oh yes, there is a souvenir shop at the South Pole!), or all the postcards I plan to write, or even the booze plan to drink in the evenings. Carefully considering all these things I could spend money on, I better take quite some cash with me!

2 comments:

  1. I'm Sooooooo exited for you! Sad I didn't get to say goodbye after choir, but will give you a big "HELLO!" when you return! :-)
    ~ Nani

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you're still en-route to New Zealand! Hope everything goes on schedule this week. Can't wait to read of your adventures.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete