Sunday, December 30, 2012

The sweet ride back to NZ

When I left the Pole, people told me that I would most likely get a ride on an Airbus from McMurdo to Christchurch. At first I thought I did not hear right, since I could not believe that an Airbus would be able to land on the ice of the McMurdo runway. But the rumors got more frequent, and when I arrived in McMurdo and checked in my luggage again, the rumors turned into fact: We would ride on an Airbus. If that plane would make it to McMurdo weather wise...

A few hours later we learned that the flight was cancelled because of weather, and during the next two days these news were repeated several times a day. After about two days I actually did not believe that the Airbus really existed. But then we got a date and a time, and really, truly made our way to the airfield. We were just in time to see the Airbus arrive. What a show!


The flight back to NZ was one of the smoothest I had in a long time. We were 18 people on the plane that had at least room for 120. We had four crew members, and two pilots. And since we were only so few, we were allowed to go to the cockpit and take some pictures of the mountains of Victoria Land. Awesome! And the best part: the flight only took 4.5 hours!  :)



 
Sea ice and some clouds.

 
 Some peaks of Victoria Land.

 
 Victoria Land, and brilliant weather!

 
 Victoria Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment