Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Cosmologists

Last Sunday I went to hear the science talk of the week here at the South Pole. The talk was about the South Pole telescope (SPT), its history, and its scientific purpose. The speaker did a really good job explaining the theory of the Big Bang and how they try to find evidence about it in the microwave background radiation of space.

At the end of his talk, the speaker pointed out that the free SPT T-shirts will arrive in January (darn, I will miss out on that one!), and that there will be a Ladies Night at the telescopes (they have several here) this Friday. First it didn't bother me much that I will miss that event as well, however, later on Sunday evening I saw the announcement below pinned at the wall in the women's bathroom. After reading in detail what the Ladies Night would offer, I have to say,  that I was super amused by the announcement, and at the same time really disappointed that I will miss that! Come on, who can say that they slow danced with a cosmologist at the South Pole?!


No comments:

Post a Comment