Monday, December 17, 2012

Inside the station - part 2

Here are some more pictures from the inside of South Pole station.

 This is the Arts and Craft room. Where you can find everything you need to do craft works: sewing machines, knitting needles, paint, wood etc.

 The Greenhouse. People who overwinter grow fresh lettuce in here. During summertime it is way cheaper to fly the fresh vegetables and fruit in from McMurdo (ultimately of course from New Zealand), than growing something here. That's why it is kind of empty. The humidity in this room, however, was a treat! Still way higher than in the rest of the station. And they even have a couch in there...


The mail distribution center where I found my letter yesterday in the little shelf labelled with an "H". To the right you see the entrance of the station store. I think I have been in there every single evening...  :)

 The science lab. Most of the scientists sit here and work. Only sometimes they go out to their instruments and check on them. But, we people from ARO have our own little sience lab in the ARO building, so we DO actually go out every day. 


The entrance to the medical station...

 The hallway to go to the rooms in one of the station wings. There are two hallways per wing, and from each there are rooms located on the right and on the left. 

 My room. Photo taken from the door in direction to the bed.

 My room again. Photo taken from my bed in direction to the door. Note "Big Red", the puffy down jacket to the left, hanging there at my door. The little white stripe is my name tag...

No comments:

Post a Comment